Saturday, January 17, 2009

Peddler

Spent on shopping that whole day,

i shopped for from dawn to dusk,

leather and wool and suede and silk,

Did i mention the latest musk?

Called a cab to haul the booty,

Filled was my heart with glee,

A tiny speck appeared by the road,

What it wore i never got to see.

Tapping on my window it rattled a sheet,

The usual con i guess,

The hookers always swoop upon us; preys

Peddling their filthy mess.

Shoving on your face,

Pushing down your throat,

Bugs these all,

i despise them, them i gloat.


Turning around i was stunned!

Horrified, i saw the driver read,


Albeit the book that rodent had sneaked.

The same very pile of diseased sheets,

Glancing over him i caught a glimpse,

Of a caricature of man and wife,


on the cover it said,


Tricks to a Happy Married Life.


Reluctant that i was, even so,


A little peek i couldn't resist,


On seeing me read the stuff,


He gave it to me; please, i insist,


Gingerly taking it up to my nose,


i found myself flipping the pages,


By the minute, my curiosity rose.


Versed in error ridden English,


Were three sections of 'marriage guide',


It spoke of loyalty, trust and bond,


And boundless love, 'for a smooth ride',


Little did i realise, that i the smart urbanite,


Would pick up a street journal,


To unlock the secret of marital bliss,


Jinxed as it was, my marriage,maimed, unreal.


Slowly i accounted,


For the wrongs that i incurred,


And to my dismay i found


It was me, who had erred.


Months passed and days went,


i had managed to steady the boat,


A semblence of a 'real' marriage i chalked,


And sailed began journey on 'paradise road'.


My wishes with the peddler,


Who supplied my lucky charm,


Always be his wares be sold,


And far he be away, from all harm.




























No comments: